Tobacco Media Campaigns
We developed and curated a campaign using shocking custom illustrations, paired with succinct verbiage in both English and Spanish, to encourage viewers to seek free support via the PA Quitline. We all need a friend to lean on and to lift our spirits. A caring friend who will always be there by your side through the hard times and make you feel better. Sometimes, that friend isn’t a person. It’s actually a cigarette. The truth hurts when you realize that your so-called best friend is actually toxic to you and the people that you love.
Do It For THEM is Latino Connection’s smoking cessation program that focuses on educating adults on the effects smoking has on children close to them. Do It For THEM strives to achieve tobacco control from a preventative measure as well as one of shared personal responsibility. Do It For THEM aims to target smokers with statistics regarding how their smoking habit affects their children, grandchildren, young family members, and friends’ children and help smokers to understand they have the power to prevent the youth from ever starting the nicotine habit.
Tobacco Resistance Unit (TRU)
The Tobacco Resistance Unit, funded by a grant through the Pennsylvania Department of Health, is a movement throughout all of Pennsylvania to help youth, ages 12 to 18, stay tobacco and vape-free. TRU aims to prevent and stop youth tobacco use and vaping through youth-led activities and peer-to-peer education.
- Educate young Pennsylvanians about the dangers of tobacco and nicotine addiction
- Expose Big Tobacco’s marketing lies
- Grow TRU – Recruit TRU members through community outreach.
- Host fun youth programs that ensure increased participation in the TRU movement.
- Help youth (and adults) who smoke or vape to quit.
- Participating in TRU can be in-person or virtual.
- TRU members will receive support and materials, including SWAG and giveaways to host TRU Storms which are tobacco and vape education events and activities at their schools and in their communities
- TRU members gain valuable experience for college and job applications and will help make a positive impact in their community and schools.
- To join TRU or become a TRU adult advisor, please contact Program Manager, Raquel Huggins at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit truinpa.org.
Tobacco Free Minority Ambassadors Task Force
In 2023, Latino Connection, a Color & Culture catalyst, launched, in partnership with the American Lung Association, the Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco, and the Pennsylvania Department of Health Division of Tobacco Prevention and Control: The PA Tobacco Free Minority Ambassadors Statewide Task Force!
- Identify tobacco use prevention needs of the minority communities.
- Leverage resources in education, healthcare, mental and behavioral health, and social and human services to reduce the burdens of tobacco.
- Define key performance metrics in reducing tobacco use-related burdens among minority communities to help programs and interventions have a real and measurable impact.
- Raises awareness through press events, interviews, letters to the editor, and community and professional education events about the impacts of tobacco on minority communities.
Join the Task Force
- The Task Force meets virtually every other month (insert date and time, e.g. 3rd Tuesday of every other month at 6 pm).
- Taskforce members are asked to attend the meetings and can expect to dedicate 1-2 hours per month to related activities.
- To join the PA Statewide Tobacco Free Minority Ambassadors Taskforce please contact Nicolas Polanco at email@example.com.