- This event has passed.
Pennsylvania State of the Union on Latino Health
June 23, 2022 @ 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Latino “Voz, Poder y Salud”
Pennsylvania Latinos in the 21st Century – Building a Radically Inclusive Policy Agenda to Guarantee Health in Our Communities
- policy professionals
- social and human services
- healthcare professionals
- HR professionals
- political science and healthcare students
Top issues in Latino health in Pennsylvania
Understand current health trends and the prevalence of the top health conditions affecting Latino communities in Pennsylvania. Amplify your understanding of the Hispanic paradox and current trends that are reversing that paradox. Recognize Latinos are not a monolith and consequently the life-altering impact of cultural competence in practice.
“Recognizing, Navigating, and Transcending Whiteness”
Learn about the ways in which the concept of ‘whiteness’ and white dominant culture norms and social practices overwhelmingly shape our daily lives and work. Create further understanding of these cultural norms and identify tangible alternatives to them. Incorporate alternatives into your work by building discernment in your equity skills.
DATA-DRIVEN DECISION-MAKING: Progress and Barriers in Creating Equitable Policies
- Learn and discuss what it takes to create equitable policies and what stands in the way.
- Identify data resources available to support your decision-making and evaluation
- Broaden your understanding of what counts as data.
HOUSING: Redlining – Past, Present, Future
- Understand how past policies impact health today.
- Learn about contemporary issues in formerly redlined communities – e.g., poverty, smoking, diabetes, voter/civic behavior
- Identify modern forms of redlining – e.g., digital, banking
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: Using Design Thinking/Human-Centered Design to Craft Government and Organizational Policy
- Build your skills for actively incorporating input from your community, constituents, and clients
- Expand your knowledge of ways to gather data from community members
- Inform your policies and programs through human-centered methods
APPROPRIATION: From Criminalization to Commercialization: Protecting Our Medicines from Colonization
- Understand traditional medicines of Indigenous people
- Learn the history of criminalization and exploitation of our medicines
- Discuss ways to protect our medicines and ourselves and advance legality
|8:30 AM||9:30 AM||Morning plenary: Panel w/moderator|
|9:30 AM||10:00 AM||Morning networking session|
|10:00 AM||11:30 AM||Morning breakout sessions|
|11:30 AM||11:45 AM||Break/networking|
|11:45 AM||12:30 AM||Lunch plenary: Keynote speaker|
|12:30 PM||1:00 PM||Afternoon networking session|
|1:00 PM||2:30 PM||Afternoon breakout sessions|
|2:45 PM||3:00 PM||Closing plenary: Remarks and LHS 2022|